me & geography

for the chronicling of lessons & adventures along the way

Friday, March 09, 2007

Plans and Reflections

I'm back in the UK at my cousin Jessica's house in London; heading to Ireland Tuesday to visit a bunch of friends, primarily Heather from home who will be in Belfast. Will be in Ireland for 6 weeks without much internet. This weekend am visiting with family in the South, got a ride up and took the ferry (left at 3am yesterday, arrived 4pm... eech) with my cousin Jim from France.

I'm slowly digesting the last 6 weeks, the second section of this journey. After Johnny's in Villers, I took the train back to Taize for 10 days, 6 of which I spent in silence living with 7 other girls. Taize is a community founded by monks, I'd say about 40 live there permanently, that has been going more than 40 years. The busiest time is Easter till autumn on with as many as 10,000 people staying there for days, weeks or months at a time, about 500 were there with me and two of the girls I stayed with in silence have been there since Septembe It's a place that leaves you encouraged creatively and spiritually, feeling the importance of individuality, simplicity and community. The way the community approached 'religion' has a way of removing all the bullshit that I (and many others) have struggled with for so long, welcoming everyone with open arms and focusing on the true nature of 'God' - Love... Hard to explain in just a few words, but meeting so many people who are so lovely and down to earth was incredible, and so many new places to visit along the way! An incredible experience I will cherish forever, the perfect place to start out this adventure.

I left Taize and caught rides with some really kind strangers (sounds better than 'hitch-hiking, eh mum?) back across to Jim and Jane's where I stayed a few nights before coming up here. Looking forward to Ireland, really feeling like it's meant to be, so many beautiful people to visit, some of which I haven't seen in years and years! Peas and love! xxxxx Allison (ps. apologies for the lack of pictures)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home